Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back To School



Better late than never! The kids started school 2 weeks ago! They were so excited to go back! I think they were dead dog bored of sitting around here with me. They were so excited that the Sunday before they kept asking if it was time to go to bed yet. I know seriously, I wish they asked that every night. Right at 8PM they had their jammies on and were tucked into bed with their alarm set for promptly 6:30AM. They had their clothes picked and laid out. I think all three of them got up at 6:00AM. They jumped into our bed dressed and asking how long til school started!

Austin is in 3rd Grade this year and he has probably one of the nicest teachers in the world. It was so cute the first morning of school I walked the kids over to the school to help them find out where to go in when the bell rang. Austin was sticking kind of close to me until one of his buddies found him. His friend encircled in a big, only the way a boy should, hug and said, "Austin, buddy, it's totally awesome to see you. Austin then proceeded to walk away with his friend at least a 100 yards away because you know it's not cool to stand next to your mom :) The bell rang and he was off on his own without a hug and kiss mind you but that would be so un-cool in front of his friends. I was left standing there thinking, this is really happening! My son is off and independent.

Miss Macee is in 1st grade. Crazy she is in school all day! She was one of the major preparers for school. She had picked out her outfit and all of her accessories. She had decided how she was gong to have her hair done and explained it to me in detail. She is such a girly girl and I LOVE IT! She reminds me of myself at that age. I was always picking out my outfits and laying them out envisioning how to best do my hair that by the way I started doing myself at the age of 5. My mom had no choice but to let me walk out of the house with some crazy hairstyles but I was adamant I could do my hair all by myself! When the bell rang Macee too was off like a dirty shirt. No hug or kiss. She was face forward plunging in to the first day of school!

Addison, where do I start? She is in preschool for 2 1/2 hours 3 times a week. She was so excited to meet her new teacher. She is a little more laid back and will still let me choose how to do her hair, most of the time. I walked her into her class and she was off playing with the toys and making new friends. I made her give me a hug before I left. I don't think I could take being shut out of another hug and kiss! I was reluctant to leave her classroom and I actually sat in the parking lot for probably 10 minutes and I couldn't leave. I started to tear up. What do I do with myself now, I thought. No one to chase around, no one to call my name incessantly, no one to be my buddy. I was all alone. I know most of you are thinking I am crazy. What mother isn't excited about a few hours to have all to herself every week? The answer was me! I love my kids so much and to think that they are growing up and becoming more independent makes me sad. Kelly and I  just turned the final page in the small child, babies, toddler chapter of our lives. I am still coming to terms that there will be no more little tiny feet padding down the hall. No more sweet baby smells! No children clinging to my leg I know it probably sounds great to most of you but sitting in the parking lot that day I had to shed a couple of tears and prepare myself to start our new and exciting chapter. The Fight For Independence might be a good title for the next chapter.

Stay tuned for excerpts from our next chapter. It should be exciting, long suffering, pain staking work but it will all be worth it in the end! Now is the time to find out who I am now. I think as a mother of small tiny children we lose ourselves in all thinks midget sized. Our life revolves around feedings, story time, bath time, and bed time. Now that my kids can feed themselves, 2 out of the 3 can read, they can all bathe themselves, and some nights the kids offer to tuck themselves in. It is time to find some new things to lose myself in. I am sure the things we are facing in our life will suck up some of that time but the rest of it I hope to spend educating myself more, a few great craft projects, and maybe some extra time to give back to all those who have given to us in the last 5 years.

So watch out World here come the Wray's. Hopefully we get it right!

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Awww, your kids are seriously adorable! It's fun to see them grow up, but it sure isn't easy. I had a rough time sending my oldest to kindergarten this year. I hope you enjoy your few "free hours" every week. :)

Sister Brittster said...

Amber Sue,

You are amazing...did you know that? Your kids are so lucky to have you. I know it doesn't seem like a blessing now, I know how badly you wish for more babies and a bigger family, but it is my promise to you that Heavenly Father knows what is best and always knows what we need. I am so excited for you to open a new chapter and finally have some time to figure out more about yourself. That is one of the blessings of being alone, you have time to figure out who you are beyond the "mommy" or "wife" title. Relish in it girl! Can't wait to see you soon! :)

lacey said...

your kids are so cute! it was great to see you guys. Aliya loved seeing Macey!! I enjoyed talking with you also! Now remember i am always just an email away. Let me know if you need anything or just to vent!!