Saturday, September 4, 2010

PSC

PSC......Kelly has PSC (Primary Sclerosing Cholongitis) It is a very rare liver disease that can be associated with UC (ulcerative colitis), which Kelly was diagnosed with about a year and a half ago. Kelly has struggeled with fatigue and pain ever since. In April his symptoms become more severe and his GI doctor decided we should do some more digging because he felt like something more than the UC was going on. A cardiologist, an internist, and one liver biopsy later we are here. Diagnosed with PSC. There is no medicine to slow it or stop it. There are no treatments for it. We just saw a hepatologist in SLC at the U of U on Thursday and he confirmed everything we have read and heard about PSC. Kelly will continue to become more fatigued, itch, have bone and muscle loss, lose weight etc until he eventually is sick enough to be placed on the liver transplant list. Right now the hepatologist said Kelly is fairly healthy considering the PSC. He does have some bone loss already and osteoperosis is setting in so he will be on high doses of calcium and vitamin d to battle it.

PSC has 4 stages and the doctor in SLC estimates Kelly to be in at least stage 2 by his liver biopsy but we will have a more conclusive stage after he has a special test called an ERCP at the end of September at the U of U.

PSC progresses rapidly in some and slowly in others so the doctor could not give us an estimate as to when Kelly would require a liver transplant. Some people can go up to as much as 10 years before needing a transplant while it can move quickly in others causing them to need a transplant after months. So we just wait! We live! We make memories to last a lifetime and we battle this awful thing called PSC.

Thinking about what could happen and what eventually will happen as far as his health goes scares me to death. The hepatologist said we have to fight! So fight we will. We will keep Kelly as healthy as we can with light cardio and weight lifting so that when the time comes for a transplant his body will otherwise be as physically healthy as it can be to go through the transplant process. The hepatologist said 1/3 of the people on the transplant list die waiting for a liver. So I encourage all of you to talk to your husbands, wives, parents, and grandparents about organ donation because every 8 minutes someone dies waiting for an organ and that has never been more real to me than it is now!

Thank you all for your prayers they are what is carrying us through. Keep them coming! We love you all and it is a bit humbling and overwhelming to feel wrapped in so much love from others. I am going to honest...I don't know that I have handed this with very much grace and I have spent a fair amount of time on my knees. Heavenly Father is sending us small miracles everyday and is showing me that He i walking right next to us through this. I can not count the number of times when I was feeling pretty low and sad over the last few weeks that someone has called, emailed, posted on my facebook, stopped at my house, or brought us in a meal just to let us know how much we are loved. Words seriously can not begin to describe our gratitude to you all for your love, faith, and prayers. I will keep you all updated! Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to explain what I can about PSC and organ donation.

11 comments:

Jessica Stark said...

I'm so sorry!! I had no idea all of this was going on. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call. You are all in my prayers.

Rebecca said...

thoughts and prayers are with you! hang in there--you guys are fighters!

The High Family- said...

You guys certainly have a lot of people praying for Kelly and your entire family! Hugs and kisses from the High fam.

DESIGN BY KELLI said...

Amber- So sorry to hear that you and your family are going through this. Tell Kelly that we are thinking about him and you will all be in our prayers on a continuous basis!

Kim and Justin said...

Amber I love you and your cute family so much! I will be praying for you guys.

Sarah said...

Dear Wray Family,

Know that my thoughts and prayers are with you too! I'm sure this must be a difficult time for you and I don't pretend to know what you're going through but I do know that there is a Father in Heaven that loves you and is watching over you.

Sister Brittster said...

Amber Sue,

Know this- Heavenly Father doesn't allow us to suffer trials we can't handle. Each one is uniquely catered to us, and he also makes sure we don't handle them alone. Remember to turn to him, remember to counsel with him, he wants to be there for you and help you through this too. I know that everything will be alright and that all will work out for the best. The great thing about Heavenly Father is that he always makes sure we have what we need when we need it. He can't take away the pain, or the suffering, but he can find ways to ease it, and he will send you angels, my dear, to act in his stead. Like any good parent, he doesn't want you to be alone and he won't leave you to struggle without aid. Look for the crazy random happenstances in your life and I promise that you will see how one blessing leads to the next. Kelly's illness may in fact be a blessing in disguise (as most trials are) we just have to be smart and clever enough to look for ways to turn something bad into something extraordinary! You are in my thoughts and prayers always! I love you!

Lanae said...

We are also praying for you and love you. As I read this to Justin a few questions came up, "Can a live donor give to Kelly, or does it have to be from a deceased individual?, Doesn't liver grow, so could he be given part of someone else's liver??

AubreyandTerry said...

So sorry Amber! You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Lindsay Mama to Nine said...

You guys are all in our prayers.
May heavenly Father lift you up , carry you if needs be and always be there to comfort.
Much love and thoughts coming from all of the Crapo Clan!

Boyters said...

we love you so much and our thoughts are with you