I just had to share with you one of my ah ha moments today. That's what my grandma calls them, "ah ha moments" They are the moments where your soul remembers important truths you have learned through trials or the clarity that can come to you in quiet moments. Tonight I had one!
You see, it has been a rough Spring Break for me. Who am I kidding? It has been that way for anyone living in the great state of Idaho this last week! Horrible weather has confined us to our homes and with all of the kids home my patience has been on a touch and go basis. I have endured tantrums, whining, lots of crying, all out punching fights between the kids, messes, and last but probably most significantly of all.....a quart of spilled paint in my laundry room.
On one occasion I lost Addie and thought she had been kidnapped. My heart dropped into the pit of my stomach when I couldn't find her! Luckily, a very kind woman saw her trying to walk out of the library unattended, yes she really is that fast. I swear she was right by me! I felt like the worst mother in the world! If this week is any glimpse into the summer break I am in big trouble!
But back to my ah ha moment! Even though this week has been a whirlwind of emotions I found clarity in a couple of awesome things. Macee went out of her way before bed last night to find me and look me in the eye. She said, "Mama, I want to thank you for making sugar cookies with us today and for getting me a library card. I had a lot of fun!" With a big hug and kiss she ran to bed. We all know as a mother that the sincere thank yous are few and far between. Sure we prompt them, "What do you say?" but Macee did it all on her own. I started to tear up! I know despite me, and my lack of awesome mothering skills, she is learning to express gratitude!
My other ah ha moment came as I looked over tonight as we watched a family movie together, Kelly had Addie all curled up in his lap. It melts my heart, I'll be honest! Kelly and addie have a special relationship. You see, when I was in the hospital after having her and my 3rd surgery Kelly would go to the NICU and feed Addie. He would be so excited. He watched the clock like a hawk for his 3 hour mark so he could go back up and hold our tiny baby and feed her since I was in the ICU. I think over the next few weeks that bond only grew stronger. I was so weak after I got home I couldn't even lift her out of her bassinette let alone nurse her. So Kelly would get up, this big man, gathered our tiny 5 pound baby in his arms and he fed her, rocked her, and kissed her. Watching my very strong and brave husband do this with such tender care has stuck with me. Just seeing these two cuddled up together and her asleep in his arms brings back a flood of play by play emotions. I can see him as if it was yesterday caudeling that tiny 5 pound baby in his arms and now here she is 4 years old and they still snuggle together!
These are the moments my friends! The moments you realize why you face the things you do. Why things are so hard somedays, including the days when paint is spilled all over your laundry room! It's because those days bring us to the days and the moments where they genuinely say thank you and curl up in your arms to fall asleep because that is where they know safety! So look out for your ah ha moments of clarity! You'll be amazed at the morale booster it is. XXXOOOO to my husband, children, and to all my friends who make my "ah ha moments" possible! I LOVE YOU!






9 comments:
Love this post! It really is all the little things like that (that don't happy very often) that make it all worth it, huh? Glad I'm not the only one that gets like that sometimes with my kids. I swear I'm going to scream if it doesn't quit snowing here. For crying out loud it's APRIL!
Such a cute post Amber! My eyes were tearing up reading it! I can't wait to have moments like that with my daughter! So sorry your week wasn't that great! I'm glad you were able to see the bright side of things! Love ya!
Oh Amber, that story is so sweet! Daddy's with their sweet little girls, can't beat it! I can't believe how small Addie was. Holy cow, what a beautiful baby!!
Love it! So now I feel like a terrible mom for complaining about my terrible week of spring break! If you read my blog you will see part of why it was so terrible! HA! Anyways, thanks for reminding us to look at the brighter side of things. We all need reminders sometimes!
Amber,
Never doubt what an amazing woman/mother you are. I can only hope that I'm as awesome as you are someday. I love you and your little family so much and feel so blessed to be a part of it! HUGS!
Amber this is a wonderful post! I had no idea you had such a rough start with your little Addie! I bet that experience gave you the empathy you show for your patients today, didn't it? Thanks for sharing!
Love that you yell at your kids. Makes me feel like I am validated a little, though I yell way more. You are doing such a great job. Being a mom is hard and you do it with such grace.
Amber- all of those pictures you posted are so sweet... all of them! And what a great reminder to treasure the little things in life. Sorry to hear about your not-so-good week. But I love those little moments that make it all worth it too!
It seems to take a lot of those moments to remind me of how lucky I am. I take a lot for granted. I hope things are going better. Remember I'm just a phone call away if you ever need to chat!
Post a Comment