Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Memories Part #2


Well I have been working like a busy bee getting ready for Christmas and working at the hospital. It is Christmas and even Santa doesn't have a money tree. Ahh shucks! So if I am going to add to my previous post, these few wee late night moments will have to do.


My next favorite Christmas tradition is the Forgotten Carols. After my dad passed away my mom got the Forgotten Carols Story Book and CD. I had never seen the actual stage play but the songs and story took hold of a special place in my heart. I know every word to every song. I was 16 years old before I saw the live stage play and my love for it grew ten fold. Growing up we didn't have a piano so we would play our CD and sing along or me and my sisters would sing Capella around the house. Our favorite song to sing was "I Cry the Day I Take the Tree Down" To this day we still pull out that song book and sit at my piano and sing and sing. The last 4 years I have also dragged my husband to the performance. Last year I also coerced him into buying the DVD and the songbook with story.


Last Thursday night was special. We had my grandma over for dinner, Christmas Stories, some train time, and I shared the Forgotten Carols with her. She loved it and so did my kids. They love the song "Three Kings". In the past few years Michael MClean has changed the show and added some new carols and songs. One of my new favorites states, " All I ever wanted, All I ever dreamed of, Everything I hoped and all the things I prayed for couldn't hold a candle to what I've been given I've been given what I need." I think that is my testimony about my life. I may not have gotten everything I hoped or even prayed for but my Heavenly Father is aware of me and I've been given what I need. I love this Carol in particular because it is applicable always, especially during tough financial times for everyone. Heavenly Father is aware of us and if keep the commandments and honor our temple covenants we have a promise that we will be given what we NEED not want but NEED. I so love the Forgotten Carols and the stories they teach and tell. I get goosebumps every year when we see the live show. These songs have given me so many wonderful Christmases and brought so much peace to my heart during very trying times.


If you haven't read, heard, or seen the Forgotten Carols, do it! You will love it and so will your kids. Let us find the true reason for the season! What if Christmas perhaps meant a little bit more? Merry Christmas we love you all!

6 comments:

Caralee said...

Amber, I LOVE the Forgotten Carols too! We play it all month long and it really brings the Christmas Spirit into our home. Thanks for sharing your christmas memories/traditions.

Sister Brittster said...

We totally need to have our Forgotten Carols sing along soon! I need to get my fingers warm tickling the ivories...by the way, your piano is very VERY out of tune...but it should still work! LOL! This year I was so fortunate to be able to go to see the show in person, and I can guarantee you that it is something that I am going to make a part of my future Christmas traditions. Its nice to know that we have the same brain...it makes you easy to shop for LOL Hahahaha!

Debra Darling said...

Amber you are beautiful. I love reading your blog so much. Even when you are not always dealing with the best circumstances I can hear your smile and testimony ALWAYS. I love that. Merry Christmas girl.

Marcie said...

How fun to reminisce! Now I really want to go see the Forgotten Carols. I hope you guys have a great Christmas!

Katie said...

Hey amber! i love your blog its so cute..i need to start taking more picture so i have something to post haha i just wanted to say thanks again for being such i good friend! you are awesome, this sounds super corny but you really helped me out. you are an amazing person!

The High Family- said...

We should form a group for forgotten carol addicts, I even listen to the CD in the summer. I really might need to see a doctor. Could you refer me to a good one?