Okay, I have been wanting to do this for the last few days but I just haven't had time. I would like to do a few posts before Christmas about my favorite Christmas Traditions and Memories. A count down until Christmas, if you will.
I would like to start part #1 with a very dear Christmas memory. My happiest Christmas' were when I was younger and my dad was still alive. I remember, I was probably about 7 or 8 years old, my dad loved to make model airplanes and army tanks. This year, though he had decided we needed a train to go around the bottom of our tree. My brother and sisters and I were so excited. We anxiously watched him as he set it up. He even set the tracks up so they were screwed down to a board that sat under our tree. We would all lay on our stomachs around the bottom of the tree and watch the little model train go around and around. We were in awe for literally hours at a time. I don't know exactly what it was, but something about the tree all lit up in the dark with a little Christmas music and that train, time seemed to stand still!
So this year I decided I would like to start this tradition with my family. So, the day after Thanksgiving sale offered the North Pole Express train with light, Santa, dancing elves, bobbing snowmen, and 6 Christmas tunes, all for the marked down price of $25. Well, I enlisted my sister in laws help and she snagged one for me in Pocatello. She then surprised me by making it my Birthday present. Seriously Kim, I love you! Thank you so much! You have made my Christmas!
I absolutely love watching my children's eyes light up every time we turn it on. There is magic in the air at our house! It is special Christmas Magic and we love it!!!




5 comments:
I remember that Amber! I miss those days. Do you remember the year that dad took us and bought us our own ornament? That was the year you and Aaron got your Snoopys, I got Mrs.Penguin and Kiersten got her Moose...I remember he bought them hoping that we wouldn't fight over great grandma's crocheted snowflakes anymore...I still love to hang up Mrs.Penquin and think about those wonderful years gathered around the tree with dad behind the camera waiting for someone to get a papercut! LOL I'm glad you want to carry on traditions, they are so important to me and I'm glad to know I'm not alone in that.
I love my train set too I am looking forward to having all you guys down for the 24th I have lots of fun things planned. I told Kelly that and he said I hope you don't have to much planned because I just want to play Monopoly. Go Kelly!
That is such a sweet memory. I think it is wonderful that you are starting that tradition of the train with your kids. One of my favorite christmas memories was when I was younger and my parents put us to bed I would love laying in bed and watch the christmas lights glowing from outside. I grew up in arizona so there was never any snow, but the lights always made it feel like christmas. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!
That is such a neat memory. We had a train around our Christmas tree, too. My brother got it for Christmas one year and I remember that it would blow real smoke when the whistle blew.
I was actually just sitting down to write my next post, which is about Christmas traditions. Great minds think alike!
we enjoy laying down under the tree with only the tree lights on and each night we take turns telling the christmas story...it is fun to hear the kids version of the nativity.
Post a Comment