
So Addie had dental surgery today. Yep she is not even three and we have already experienced our first bouts with anesthesia, hospitals, and an IV.
We got up before the sun was even up! We had to be at the hospital at 5:30AM. Too early for this mom! It all went a lot better than I expected. Addie was friendly and kind to everyone. She didn't cry at all before they put her to sleep. We had fun reading and coloring while we waited for them to come and get her. There was even about 20 minutes of wagon riding in there. They gave her a purple bear which we named Grace and she has drug that thing every where! It was so cute, the anesthesia doctor came out and talked to Addie about how she would breathe in a mask and it would make her sleepy. He brought a mask out for her to see and try. He showed her how it worked on her bear, Grace. He left the mask with her and Addie kept showing me over and over how she was putting Grace to sleep. Then she would show me how she was going to go to sleep. it was soooo cute!
They let her ride in the wagon back to the O.R. and she didn't even cry. She just gave me a big kiss and said, "Bye!" The dentist reported to me afterwards that Addie did not cry at all. She played and laughed with the anesthesiologist and would breathe in her mask to blow the balloon up. She was laughing and breathing when it hit her and she started to get sleepy. The nurse said, "We are going to lay you back now." Addie said, "Okay!" and drifted off to sleep. Everything went really well!
Addie had to have the procedure because she has pretty much no enamel on her teeth from being so premature. The dentist said her teeth are like chalk. Let's just say we may be saving all of these baby teeth. They may be a down payment on her college education!!!
Addie has been pretty whiny since we got home today but rightfully so. she had a lot done in her mouth. We are keeping her on steady doses of Motrin and Tylenol. The anesthesia has made her pretty nauseous today but thankfully not as nauseous as it makes me! She has been a big mamas girl today but I don't really mind it means I get to snuggle my baby a little longer. I don't know if any of you just have those moments where you stop and try to remember all of the 5 senses you are experiencing in one moment. I do it a lot with my kids. i try to burn a mental image into my head that I can keep with me forever. Those special mommy moments. I try to take in how they smell, how the feel in my arms, what they look like, how they are breathing. Let me tell you, they have left me breathless a few time. What is that saying? "Life is not about moments but the moments in life that take our breath away!" So go take a moment!
4 days ago




5 comments:
I knew she would be a trooper( I am glad that you made it through as well. I know this was scary for you too). Your baby is growing up. Pretty soon she will be fighting the boys off with a stick. Oh wait, maybe that is what Kelly will be doing!
Poor kid. Hope she feels better. What did they do? Did they take out all her teeth and give her new ones? or just take them out?
Hope she feels better soon.
ve addy a hug and kiss for me. What a sweetheart!!! Love kim
I already knew this, but it sounds to me like Addie is one special spirit who is very in tune with what she has to deal with in this life. I am glad that you get the honor of being her mom, and enjoy those moments girl, you deserve them!
I hope Addie is doing okay now... what a little trooper! We loved getting your Christmas card in the mail yesterday. Your kids are so so so cute! Thanks a bunch!!
Post a Comment