Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Food For Spiritual Thought





I just had to blog about a neat experience I had on Monday night and Tuesday. As you know we have known the sick bug a lot in the last couple of weeks and as it turned out it was Austin's turn on Monday. The poor kid looked a little like death. He hardly played at all on Monday. He just layed on the couch and told me his tummy hurt. Kelly's dad had called to tell us that the pigs he had butchered for our Christmas presents were ready. We debated whether or not to put poor Austin in the car and go but Austin insisted he wanted to go and he could make it. Before we left Austin asked what else I could do to make him feel better. I told him I personally could not do more than I had already done. I did suggest, if he wanted to, that he should ask his dad for a priesthood blessing. Austin said, "Mom, I think that is a great idea." So off he went to find Kelly before we left. Kelly gladly told Austin yes and asked if he would like to wait so that Grandpa could help with the blessing. Austin said, "YES"

So off we went to Blackfoot. Austin made it without puking. When we got to his Grandpa's house Austin was a little shy to ask his Grandpa to help with his blessing but he did and Farrell gladly accepted. Austin received a wonderful blessing that told him his sickness would leave quickly and that he would be able to return to his normal activity. Austin hugged his dad and his grandpa. As his arms went around Farrell he sat down to be at Austin's level and he told him probably most the sweetest, most simple story of the priesthood and faith. It had to do with a time when Farrell was just Austin's age, or a little older and he was sick with what the doctors told him was pneumonia. Farrell told Austin that he was going to have to be admitted to the hospital to receive medicine. The night before he was to be admitted to the hospital his dad and the Bishop gave him a blessing. When he reported to the hospital the next morning they could find no sign of the pneumonia. Now I don't think I have seen Austin ever listen so intently. Farrell closed his story with his testimony. I will admit I got a little choked up. His simple testimony touched my heart. In that moment I was very grateful that my children have an example like that in their lives. I was thankful that they have a father and grandfather that worthily hold the priesthood with great faith and have the power, if it be the Lord's will, to heal them and protect them. I also realized my deep gratitude for the example of Kelly's wonderful family in my life. It is comforting to know I am part of such a wonderful family.

I know Farrell touched Austin. You know how I know? The next morning Austin woke up with a smile. When I asked him how he was he said, "Great Mom!" I asked him if his tummy felt better. In true Austin fashion he said, "Sure does. I think that blessing and oil dad and grandpa used last night really helped."

The pure sweet simple faith of a child. Enough said.

5 comments:

Rachel Hubbard said...

Just reading how sick your family has been makes me feel a little queezy...I hope you get feeling better soon. Hey, btw, did Aaron get married? I was looking at Brittany's blog, and it said something about a brother getting married. Is that Aaron? If it is, I had NO CLUE. Let me know. -Rachel

The High Family- said...

What a neat experience that you got to share as a family. Austin will always remember that story from his grandpa. I love that you wrote it down so that when your kids are older they can go back and see the faith of older generations. You are a great mom and your hubby isn't so bad either!

Lanae said...

What a beautiful example of childlike faith. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I hope no one else gets sick we are sick at our house too i love that story. kim

Lanae said...

Hey look Mrs. Wray, I don't think you understand. We waved as we drove by Idaho Falls. Doesn't that count? Okay, maybe not. BUT we will definitely visit you the next time we are around.