Sunday, April 17, 2011

Renovation Reality

Hello blogging friends, I would like to take you on a little bit of an adventure if you will where the Wray family embarks on yet another crazy adventure. This time it all started with some harmless furniture shopping and ended in removing a fourth our wall in our basement, removing a main support beam, building a new header, moving a light switch and a phone jack, and did I mention a whole lot of sheet rock!

I know I bet you are saying, "What in the world!" Well, you see we have a very narrow opening into our basement and it is hard to find any furniture that fits down there. What we had down there was budget friendly craigslist freebies I slip covered and an old $20 sectional I sewed new cushion covers for and steam cleaned myself. I have been begging Kelly for as long as I can remember to go furniture shopping but I am married to an accountant and he is always crunching the numbers. I don't know what changed his mind on Saturday, maybe he was just tired of hearing me whine about how there was no real comfortable place for us to gather as a family or maybe it's because he had measured another one of me free furniture finds for the hundredth time but to no avail it would not fit down the stairs!

So tape measure in hand we spent all day shopping and almost when all hope was lost we found our dream sectional at Odell's Furniture. It wasn't too wide, yay it would fit down the stairs, and at the right price! A big thanks to Bishop Moon for the amazing deal and great service! We were loaded by 6PM with some help from my step dad and his truck. I was so EXCITED! It was like Christmas. We quickly moved the old furniture out, vacuumed, and the boys started to move the 3 piece sectional in. Two pieces in place, I was thrilled, and then the deal breaker......the third piece came down the stairs but was too long to turn the corner into the family room. We tipped it, turned it, finagled it every way we could but no luck!

Kelly said, "I guess we will just have to return it on Monday." I loudly exclaimed, "Over my dead body!" My step dad spoke up and told me the only way I was getting the third piece into my family room  would be to cut my wall back about 2 feet. I said, "DO IT!" Kelly and Parker both looked at me a little stunned but I said again, "DO IT! Cut the wall back!" I think they could see the pleading in my puppy dog eyes because within the next 15 minutes Kelly was tearing trim off, removing sheet rock, and then they busted out the saw. Don't forget it is now 7:30PM.

                                            Don't mess with the man with a saw

Exposed wire, saws, sheet rock oh my!


                                                                 Smiling happy helper!
                                               My two happy helpers at 1 AM
                                           The final screws go into the support header!
    The 3rd piece comes down the stairs finally. I was holding my breath......Please fit!
Long story short we finished about 2 AM Sunday morning after almost causing my flooring to sag when trying to replace and move a main support beam and my beloved 3rd piece barely fit but it FIT! So now we have some sheet rock to fix but we also have a very cozy family room! I love you honey! Thanks for putting up with my furniture tantrum and making it all better!

3 comments:

cressfamily said...

Fun, Fun, Now you can paint...but at least you got new furniture, Yeah!

Reed, Julie , Macie, Branson & Allie said...

How funny, I can't beleive he was willing to cut the wall back for your couch.....that's so nice! I'm glad you now have a huge comfy couch, it looks SO NICE.

SJW said...

Yahoo for new furniture! New furniture, more space, & a happy mama...can't get any better than that!!