Thursday, August 21, 2008

The triple Threat Of the Word "First" . . . It May Do Me In Folks

How can I describe today? One word keeps coming to mind SCARY! I just sent my first born to his first day of first grade. AHHHHHHHHHH! Can I tell you I have been a ball of nerves, I think Kelly is ready to commit me to BHC. I just can't believe my baby is six. It feels like I blinked and he is six I'm afraid if I blink again he will be standing in front of me in a suite and tie, scriptures in tote, getting ready to leave to some foreign country for two years.

I think my fear mainly surrounds two things. One, he has to walk to school and cross a very busy street to do it and two, did I teach him everything I needed to so he will be safe and choose the right. Can he be a leader of good things rather than a follower of bad things. I just love him so much, like every mom alive I just want the best for him.

So here we are today we sent him off. I couldn't sleep last night so I got up at 3:45AM and again at 5:45AM. I did what all non sleeping totally crazy mother do, I started cooking and cleaning. I was determined to make Austin a good breakfast. So he got up at 6:45AM when his alarm went off and came upstairs to eat. We had pancakes, sausage, and grape juice. Total brain food, of course. Then he hopped in the shower, dressed himself, and we practiced with our walkie talkies. Yes all I am paranoid enough I bought walkie talkies so I can keep track of him while he walks to and from school. Kelly thinks I'm nuts, okay certify me! Austin thought it was cool!

He was ready to go early and antsy so he went outside and shot some hoops with his dad. kelly stuck around to see Austin off and to make sure I didn't completely lose it. Then it came time to go. His little friend walked to our house to pick him up and then I walked with him to the cross-walk on the busy street. Of course Austin walked at leaft 20 feet in front of me so he could be with his friends. Then he took off across the cross-walk and yelled my good bye's and I love you's. He looked back a couple of times nervously and then went on. I almost cried but I stayed tough! Then he called me on his walkie talkie and gave me a play by play of where he was at until he got to school. So we are half way throught the day without any major incidents except for me being so emotional.

I am proud of Austin and how kind, brave, and smart he is! I know he will do great at school. I am proud to be his mom! I hope he has a wonderful day and I'm sure as the year progresses I will enjoy it too!

Click to play Austin Back To School
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

9 comments:

Hillary said...

Oh, you are such a good mom! It makes me sad to think about sending Cash to school one day, too.

The High Family- said...

I can sort of feel your pain. I panicked when Dallin went to preschool...and that is just preschool. Kindergarten scares me to death. You are so much braver than me. Austin is a great kid and will do awesome in first grade!

Caralee said...

Your honest, heart-felt journaling is so sweet. It is amazing how fast the kids grow. You are such an awesome mom (I made cereal and toast for Baylee's first day). Austin will do great, he has been taught well.

Sister Brittster said...

Oh Amber! You are so silly! I hope Austin is enjoying first grade, I am so sad that I had to miss his first day! I would have walked with him so you wouldn't have been so nervous, but Tanner is a good kid and I'm sure that he will make sure that Austin makes it where he's supposed to go from now on! Hang in there chica, you still have 2 more at home! P.S. that picture of Addie at the breakfast table with disheveled hair is absolutely to die for!

Johnson Family said...

I don't blame you for feeling that way. I am sort of glad I have five more years until I reach that point. I think I will be really nervous, especially since all I am used to is Snake River. Austin is going to do great though. :)

Sara said...

Austin will do great! He is so smart and he knows what is right! Your description of his first day is so vivid, I can picture the whole thing!

Matt and Stacy Compton said...

Love the walkie talkie idea. I am super nervous mom as you know and I think I might just have to remember that one!!
Good luck, you know he is going to love it! See ya in a few days!

Joy said...

It sounds like you are handling the "firsts" pretty well. It's crazy how fast kids grow up. Way to be such a great mom!

Tina Crowther said...

You are a hoot! I just asked Brant if he thought I would be as emotional and concerned as you. He didn't answer. I can't picture it, but ya never know. You're a great mom though, so it wouldn't be a bad thing!