Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thanks For The Smiles

This post is a little shout out to anyone who has ever smiled or talked to a stranger. Today has been one of those crazy mommy days. The kids have been screaming, biting, hitting, and fighting. Of course, all of the above has to occur on a day I forgot about school pictures, the house needed some serious cleaning, and there were more than a kazillion errands that needed done.

Needless to say I have been feeling the burn of motherhood today and my disposition has been a little less than cheery. Today, in part, is a day I would like to go back to bed and throw the covers over my head forgetting anything else exists but alas I have a the brooding clan I have described above that does not allow such drastic action.

My day got a little brighter this afternoon on a trip to SAMS Club with the girls while Austin was at Kindergarten. I was enduring another whining session on the way in and out of the store. I was thinking, "Why in the world did I decide to do this today?" My first ray of sunshine came as I walked out of the store and was greeted by the receipt checker. She must have seen the pure look of worn out desperation on my face because she smiled so sweetly and said, "I think you have two beautiful little girls here. They must take after their mother!" For the first time today a smile spread across my face. Now if you know my children they definitely look like their father and not me and I get told that all of the time. Not that looking like Kelly is a bad thing, he is a pretty handsome fella, but it is nice to hear that they look like me after all the work I do to keep them fed, clean, and clothed. I said, "Thank You!" and there was a bit more bounce in my step. Walking to the car I looked up to see a kind man who smiled and said kindly, "Hi, How are you?" I don't know what it is about a smile and I kind how do you do but my day was looking up.

I know Heavenly Father must have been aware of my fowl mood or he must have heard about it because he sent two kind strangers to spread a little sunshine to me. So I challenge all who read; Take a moment today or tomorrow to smile or say Hello to someone you don't know. If we all did it the world might be a little nicer place to be in. Who knows your smile could change the day of a severely overworked and underpaid housewife, and that could change the world because you know what they say, "If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy!" I love you all now go and spread some sunshine! :)

5 comments:

Williams house of craze said...

Amber,
Wow! Isn't it the truth that just 1 kind word or smile can send your day into a tailspin and end up going better! So good to see you were watched over! Everywhere we are, God is there, he leaves clues for us to remember him. You have been through so much. You are amazing to be so positive and loving. Keep on keepin' on, girl! :)

Nield Fam said...

Amber-

I love your little inspirational stories. They make me smile. You are great. I have your pump to get back. THANKS so much, your a life saver. Creiden thanks you also.

The High Family- said...

I love that you are so honest. Being a mommy isn't always glamorous. I love those defining moments when we can sit back and think...hey I am not doing to bad at this mothering thing and those people around us that help us to remember that. It makes me so happy to have the blessed opportunity to be a mom to my kids...snot and all!

Nield Fam said...

Amber-
I've already left ya a comment, but it was chatting w/ ya tonight. I hope the kids recover quick.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber,
Wishing I could send you a smile as well, I also sometimes wish I could be there as well just wanted to say hi and let you know that Aaron and I are thinking of you! Love ya!