Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hello 911...We Need An Ambulance

Okay so a lot of you have wanted another update on how we are getting along from surgery. Let me just say I think I am the person that if crazy, out of this world things are going to happen they tend to happen to me. My grandma and I often joke that in heaven when we were lining up for our talents and treasures to take to earth we mistakenly got in the strange and peculiar happenings line!

Well so far i have followed my mold. a day surgery turned into a re-admit at the hospital with oxygen to keep my sats up and some serious nausea medication. My recommendation, when having abdominal surgery avoid puking your guts out at all costs! Three small incisions that should've had me up and around by Monday have spread into deep rectus muscle shreds and bleeds causing me to look like my abdomen was in one serious fist fight with the pain to prove it. And lastly, staying at home and maybe taking a little TLC due to all of my post-op complications turned into one very scary night and an ambulance with my name written all over it!

Yesterday was an exceptionally bad day physically and emotionally. The pain meds were not helping with my pain and since surgery I have had some serious nausea. A great weight loss plan if you like to starve slowly. So last night I felt pretty awful and Kelly and I didn't go to bed until after midnight. The nausea was knocking at my door but I thought some sleep ought to chase it away. I was terribly wrong. About 3:30AM I woke up very nauseous and my heart was racing. I got up to the bathroom. No sooner had I made it there that I broke out in a cold sweat and the puke was forcing it's way in the door. My heart raced faster and I knew I was going to pass out. I yelled for Kelly. Everything after that is a muffled blur of pieces. I remember falling forward into his arms and then blackness. I remember then feeling Kelly rub my face and arms and telling me to open my eyes but I couldn't, and I couldn't speak. The next thing I remember is hearing Kelly say our address and that we needed and ambulance right away. a few minutes later I was aware of what was going on and the ambulance crew arrived along with a fire truck. What can I say, when I go I go out in style! I then remember about 5-6 men staring at me and asking all sorts of questions. They loaded me n the ambulance and Kelly followed in our car after my parent's arrived. They started 2 IV's, fluid, and gave me some medicine for the nausea.

When we arrived in the ER they took me straight to a trauma room and started to assess me. The doctor did not like the size or the depth of my bruising especially on the left side. He ordered a stat CT scan to make sure there was not a bleed in my abdomen that they didn't get stopped before they closed me up. So we had a jillion blood tests, one urine test, and a CT scan. Good news no bleed but my H&H which is the oxygen carrying capacity of my blood was down slightly more since my re-admit after surgery. It is borderline for a blood transfusion but the ER doc said hopefully those levels were stabilizing and should rise. The CT scan showed some major damage and swelling to my rectus muscle from the trochar of my laporoscopy. The Doctor said he has never seen such deep bruising. So they cleared me about 7AM this morning with strict instructions to take it easy, not lift Addie, and to keep someone with me at all times. They think the stress of the surgery and maybe over doing it has exacerbated by neurocardiogenic syncope (my heart irregularities).

So happy to say we are alive and home, exhausted, and makin' a call into the man upstairs that this little lady is done. I now hereby forfeit my rights to all things strange and peculiar please! Thanks for all of your concern, well wishes, help with my kids, and meals. Quite frankly I feel as if I would be playing a harp on a puffy white cloud right now if it were not for all of your service. We truly love and appreciate you all!

11 comments:

Joy said...

Oh Amber...how scary! You really have quite the run-ins with crazy stuff. I think you have had more than your share. I truly hope you are on the road to recovery now and that all goes well from now on.

Marcie said...

I am so sorry to hear all the things you have gone through lately! I hope things start getting better for you and your family and that you get feeling better really soon! Hang in there!

Sister Brittster said...

stay in bed and think healthy thoughts. you are in my prayers chicky babe!

Dallin and Katie said...

I hope you will get better soon. If anyone deserves a successful recovery, it is you.

Sara said...

Wow! You sure have been through A LOT!!! I hope that all strange and peculiar things come to an end for you! I think you have had more than your share! Take it easy!!! And don't forget to ask for help! You deserve it!

Lanae said...

We are praying for you over here too and are so glad you have Kelly. Take it as easy as possible. We love you!

Unknown said...

Wow Amber! I hope you get better soon! You have really been through it!

Becky T said...

Oh, Amber! I have been thinking about you so much. I'll be praying that you can be done with your share of excitement. It sounds like you had quite a scare. Take it easy!

Rebecca said...

So glad you're okay and that you have someone there with you at all times. Take it easy and get better soon! We love you!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are doing better. What a scare. Hope you have a Happy Halloween.

Tenise said...

Oh wow! You'll definitely be in our prayers!